March 9, 2020- Islamic Art
Assignment Due: Paper 1 (please see “Paper 1” under Assignments for instructions on how to turn in your paper)
- TED-Ed, “The complex geometry of Islamic design,” in Smarthistory, January 30, 2016, accessed September 6, 2019, https://smarthistory.org/the-complex-geometry-of-islamic-design/.
- Williams, Elizabeth. “Trade and Commercial Activity in the Byzantine and Early Islamic Middle East.” In Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000- http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/coin/hd_coin.htm (May 2012).
- Kendra Weisbin, “Introduction to mosque architecture,” in Smarthistory, August 8, 2015, accessed August 20, 2019, https://smarthistory.org/introduction-to-mosque-architecture/.
March 11, 2019- Medieval Art
- Dr. Andreas Petzold, “A beginner’s guide to Romanesque art,” in Smarthistory, August 8, 2015, accessed September 6, 2019, https://smarthistory.org/a-beginners-guide-to-romanesque-art/.
- Valerie Spanswick, “Gothic architecture, an introduction,” in Smarthistory, August 8, 2015, accessed September 6, 2019, https://smarthistory.org/gothic-architecture-an-introduction/.
- Book of Suger Abbot of St. Denis on What Was Done During his Administration in Halsall, Paul. Internet Medieval Sourcebook: Ims. New York, N.Y: P. Halsall, 1996. Internet resource.
- Read Sections I, XXIV, XXV, and XXV. Think about why churches are built and renovated, and how religion motivates art and architecture.